Food Safe Guru Daily – Restaurant accidentally served alcohol to kids

Posted on April 22, 2012 by


If I could take the way-back machine to the 1960′s and sit with my family at a mid-priced restaurant, I would have been in my glory if they allowed me to order a Shirley Temple.

According to wiki, a Shirley Temple is “A Shirley Temple is a non-alcoholic mixed drink made with two parts Ginger ale, one part orange juice, and a splash of grenadine, garnished with a maraschino cherry. More recent recipes omit the orange juice and instead combine equal parts lemon-lime soda and ginger ale. Many restaurants now serve a Shirley Temple as a mixture of lemon-lime soda, such as Sprite, and grenadine, with a cherry added in as well.”

That maraschino cherry was the highlight. Shirley Temple was a child actor in the 1930′s with great ringlets. She made 11 films in 1933.

We felt very grown up with our beverage. When I read about an restaurant server making a mistake and serving a child alcohol, I look at who is to blame. Was it the bartender or the server or the bar was just to busy.

ID’s aside, a Olive Garden employee accidentally served a rum infused smoothie to a ten-year old. He drank half.

Mistakes happen. We are relieved that the child was fine, this time, but this should be a wake-up call for servers to be careful when serving children.

Editor’s note: We changed the name from Food Safe Guru Daily Op Ed to Food Safe Guru Daily beginning today.

Posted in: Family safety