by Doug Powell
KFC has been ordered to pay $8 million damages by a judge who found a young Sydney girl was left severely brain damaged after eating a Twister chicken wrap.
AAP reports the family of Monika Samaan (right) successfully sued the fast food giant, claiming the source of her salmonella poisoning was a Twister.
Her father told the NSW Supreme Court he bought the wrap on October 24, 2005, at the KFC outlet at Villawood, in Sydney’s west.
While Monika, her parents and her brother ended up in hospital with salmonella poisoning, the then seven-year-old was left severely brain damaged and is effectively now a quadriplegic.
On Friday, Justice Stephen Rothman ordered KFC to pay $8 million damages plus legal costs.
Last Friday, he found KFC had breached its duty of care to the young girl.
KFC has indicated it will appeal his finding.
In a statement, the family’s lawyer George Vlahakis said, “The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent.”