Home-canned beets in Oregon linked to 3 botulism hospitalizations

Posted on August 5, 2012 by

0


by Ben Chapman

Three folks who attended a private bbq in Oregon earlier this month ate some home-canned beets that had not been acidified or processed sufficiently and ended up with botulism.  Putting low acid foods in a jar and sealing them without either acidifying (with vinegar/fermentation) or processing using pressure is a bad idea – it creates the ideal environment for botulism toxin formation. And botulism is pretty devastating, often resulting in paralysis and a long-term recovery period.

Below is the infosheet and highlights:

- Storing low-acid foods in a jar and sealing them without either acidifying or processing using pressure creates the ideal conditions for toxin formation.

- Tested recipes and directions for safe canning can be found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation:
nchfp.uga.edu.

- In 1977, 59 patrons of a Detroit Mexican restaurant became ill with botulism after consuming improperly canned peppers after restaurant staff put lightly-cooked peppers and water in jars and sealed them.

- Low acid foods (pH greater than 4.6) like beets cannot be safely canned using a boiling water bath unless acidified according to a tested recipe.

Click here to download.

_____________________________________________________

© 2012 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties

Posted in: Family safety