Thanksgiving Grease Fire

Posted on November 28, 2008 by

3


We arrived from out of state to eat with my husband’s family. My sister-in-law invited about 20 people. There were wonderful appetizers, plenty to drink and loads of conversation.

Then the oven caught fire. 911 was called. Turkey being carved for the main course was hastily moved. First the police and then the fire department arrived in full regalia. The fire was quickly extinguished. The microwave became the oven.

 Dinner was finally served with a big sigh of relief.

In an article in LasVegasSun.com, “Thanksgiving is tops for fire danger. According to the National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving Day tops the list as the peak day for kitchen fires. In 2006, the NFPA reported 1,400 structure fires caused by cooking equipment, more three times the national daily average.

Tim Szymanski, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman, said the department receives more calls for cooking-related fires on [Thanksgiving] than any other day of the year. He suggests:

If a fire does occur in the kitchen, said the best thing to do is get everyone out of the house, turn the stove or oven off and don’t open the oven door. If you open the oven door, you could have a flash fire and we don’t want that to happen.”

We’re thankful that the fire was contained to the oven and that no one was hurt. It’ll make a family tale for years to come.

Posted in: Family safety