More than 30 sick from bad reheating of spaghetti at Hawaiian school

Posted on December 17, 2013 by

0


by Doug Powell

State health officials have found that bacteria-tainted spaghetti was the cause of an illness that struck dozens of students at Waipahu Elementary School earlier this month.

The state Department of Health said spaghetti cooked the previous day at the Oahu school was not properly heated the day it was served, spaghetti.schoolwhich created “an environment for bacteria growth.” The food also may not have been properly cooled the day it was cooked, the DOH said in a statement today.

“An inspection and interviews with cafeteria employees revealed food preparation violations that could be corrected with proper training and follow through,” said Peter Oshiro, head of the department’s Sanitation Branch. “We understand the school closed the cafeteria to retrain their food service staff and ensure safe food practices.”

Two adults and more than 30 students came down with dizziness, nausea and vomiting on Dec. 10. School officials immediately suspected food poisoning as the cause.

___________________________________

 © 2013 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties

Posted in: Family safety