Couple sue Whole Foods in son’s E. coli death

Posted on December 20, 2014 by

1


by Doug Powell

I’ve said it many times: Whole Foods is too concerned about food porn and not enough about food safety.

According to the Boston Herald a Braintree, Mass. couple whose 8-year-old son died after allegedly eating ground beef contaminated with a powerful strain of E. coli is suing the grocery chain that sold the meat and the ranch that allegedly produced and processed it.

Melissa and Andrew Kaye yesterday filed suit against Whole Foods Market and Missouri-based Rain Crow Ranch.

AR-141216756

“This lawsuit is about bringing awareness to the issue of food safety and forcing change where it needs to be made,” Melissa Kaye told the Herald.

The Kayes bought the grass-fed ground beef that they blame for their son Joshua’s July 7 death at a Whole Foods in South Weymouth, Mass. according to the lawsuit that was filed in U.S. District Court in Boston.

Two other people who bought grass-fed beef from a Whole Foods in Newton, Mass. also got sick in June, a recall announcement and the lawsuit state.

Whole Foods issued an Aug. 15 recall of ground beef products due to possible E. coli contamination after the state Department of Public Health, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and federal Food Safety and Inspection Service determined the link.

Whole Foods — which said it couldn’t comment on specifics of the litigation — expressed its “heartfelt condolences” to the boy’s family, but added there is no “clear link” to the business.


© 2014 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties.

Posted in: Family safety