Taylor Farms recalls foodservice spinach in response to Michigan testing

Posted on April 23, 2015 by


The Produce News has reported that Taylor Farms of Salinas California has notified foodservice companies of a spinach recall for foodservice companies. Michigan  inspectors detected pathogens in foodservice product during routine testing.

The Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development’s Geagley Laboratory tested spinach that was pre-packaged and ready for institutional use and stored in a food warehouse facility as part of the state’s routine food-safety assurance program.

The samples were tested April 7 and the results came back on April 13, said Jennifer Holton, communications director for the Michigan department. The product tested positive for Salmonella and non-shiga toxin producing E. Coli, she said.

The Food & Drug Administration said Michigan authorities notified the California Department of Public Health and the FDA on April 10 of the presumptive positive, which was confirmed the following week.

“Since this did not involve a retail product it was more effective to notify those foodservice companies,” an FDA spokesman told The Produce News. “A press release would not have been effective in removing the specific product being recalled as it was not a retail product.”

FDA said the product, which was harvested on April 2 and processed at a Yuma, AZ, facility, has a two-week shelf life. Since Taylor Farms stopped processing in Yuma on April 9, the agency has not inspected that area.

South Carolina’s WBTV reported last week that spinach served at 10 county schools was recalled after receiving notification from the product supplier.

“So far, no one in our schools or any of the other customers who received and used the spinach has reported any illness,” Lancaster County Superintendent Gene Moore told WBTV.

© 2015 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties.

Posted in: Family safety