San Jose restaurant closed after outbreak of food poisoning

Posted on October 21, 2015 by


by Howard Mintz

Santa Clara county public health officials have shut down a San Jose restaurant after dozens of patrons fell ill and were hospitalized with Shigella, including at least 11 who are being treated in intensive care units for the severe stomach ailment usually associated with shoddy food handling.

In an alert made public on Monday, the county public health department closed the Mariscos San Juan restaurant at 205 North 4th Street in San Jose and is trying to locate people who may be vulnerable to a further outbreak of Shigella, food poisoning which causes severe fever, diarrhea and stomach pain and can be spread to others.

A local hospital alerted the department to about five cases on Saturday, and the restaurant was closed on Sunday after officials determined that dozens of customers who ate there had come down with symptoms.

County public health officials say anyone who ate at the restaurant and is experiencing symptoms should see a doctor immediately for treatment.


© 2015 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties.

Posted in: Family safety