Clam & Kale Soup
Anyone of Portuguese heritage will recognize this classic combination of kale, linguica and clams; anyone trying to get more leafy greens and veggies into their diet will love this tasty soup. Serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread.
Active time: 45 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound linguica sausage, quartered lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh kale (discard stems)
- 1 cup water
- 2 (8 ounce) Bar Harbor® Clam Juice
- 3 (6.5 ounce) cans Bar Harbor® Whole Maine Cherrystone Clams
- 2 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Add oil to a soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the linguica. Cook and stir until the linguica starts to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, thyme, black pepper and red pepper. Cook and stir until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add the kale, cook and stir to coat with the seasonings. Add the water and clam juice, stir well and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add clams, cilantro and parsley. Stir and cook to heat through, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- To serve, divide soup between 4 bowls. Any leftover soup can be refrigerated for two days or frozen up to 3 months.
© 2016 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties.