Right before Thanksgiving – Ready-to-Eat Meatballs Recalled

Posted on November 23, 2016 by

0


Nick’s of Calvert, Prince Frederick, Maryland, is recalling approximately 305 pounds of ready to eat (RTE) meatball products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens. More specifically, required information on where the product was produced or repackaged is absent from the labeling and the product contains eggs and milk, known allergens which are not declared on the product label.

The following products are subject to recall: [View Label (PDF Only)]

5-lb. clear plastic packages containing “NICK’S Fully Cooked Italian Style Meatballs.”

The product subject to recall does not bear a USDA mark of inspection; this is not required for product sold at retail that is labeled under the retail exemption. Other typical identification markings, including best before or use by dates or processing or repackaging dates are also absent from the product labels. The product was sold in retail locations in Maryland.

The problem was discovered when Nick’s of Calvert returned product to the official FSIS establishment that produced and originally packaged and labeled the product, where it was presented for reinspection. FSIS personnel observed that the products no longer contained the original label applied by the official FSIS establishment and that the new ingredient statement failed to declare the presence of milk and eggs.

There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.

Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.

Consumers with questions about the recall can contact Nick Ferrante III, Sales Manager, at (410) 414-7105.


© 2016 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties.

Posted in: Family safety