Buffalo Wild Wings Kitchen Accident leaves Employee Dead, 10 Sickened

Posted on November 8, 2019 by

0


The Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington, MA was the site of a chemical cleaning agent, that left one employee dead and sent ten people, patrons and employees, to the local hospital, according to various news sources.

The media outlets reported that the cleaning agent was sodium hypochlorite. This is a chemical and bleaching agent. It’s the main ingredient in laundry bleach.

Interim Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson said Super 8, a common sanitation product, was being used to clean the floor when people inside the restaurant became sick, according to NBC 10 Boston. Fire crews responded around 5:30 p.m. to find a male worker who was nauseous after inhaling fumes from the cleaning agent. He was taken in serious condition to Lahey Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

A Tier 1 hazardous materials incident was declared and the building was evacuated. The restaurant was closed for the night.

Another worker had applied the cleaning solution and went out into the fresh air after being exposed. The victim who died was trying to squeegee the substance out of the restaurant when he was overcome by the fumes, Patterson said.

Nine other patients drove themselves to Lahey Hospital, and another was going to a Lowell hospital, according to Patterson. While they have been placed on oxygen, Patterson said none of the patients besides the man who died were in serious condition.

Two customers were transported; the rest of the patients are employees. Their symptoms include runny and watery eyes and shortness of breath.

Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and has any concerns is urged to seek immediate medical attention.

“We were just sitting at the bar, and kind of the smell of, like, ammonia and chlorine came over us, and a bunch of people started coughing,” said Jim Jorefice, who was inside the restaurant with some coworkers at the time.

The three men said they asked a restaurant employee if everything was OK and were told some chemicals had spilled in the kitchen.

“At first, I just thought it was the dishwasher, someone poured some chemicals down, but then, it got stronger and stronger,” Jorefice said.


© 2019 US Food Safety Corporation. No copyright claim is made for portions of this blog and linked items that are works of the United States Government, state governments or third parties.

Posted in: Family safety